[WW] Tanks

richard spangle wrote:
> this i did not know. tanks for the info. did the brit's field any armor
> after their withdraw at dunkirk or did everyone rely primarly on american
> armored div's?

Dunkirk eh?  We're talking what, May 1940?

As a result of that withdrawal, the British shot out Churchills and
Valentines (both developed before the war, and the Valentine was
originally rejected) quickly.  They were certainly improved later in the
war though (eg. Churchill got a 75mm gun).

More British tanks after Dunkirk:

Comet
A9/A10 Cruiser (still saw action after Dunkirk)
Tetrarch (in Normandy 1944, and crossed the Rhine)
Harry Hopkins (modofied Tetrarch)
Cromwell (can't remember exactly when it was in service)
Challenger (came into service in 1944)
Tortoise (monster tank)
Centaur Cruiser
Crocodile (Churchill flamethrower tank)
Canadian Ram (its numerous variants served late into the war [like the
Kanagaroo APC that replaced the Priest; Badger Flame tank; etc])
and more.

Anyhow, that's all I can say off the top of my head.  There are tons of
resources on the Internet listing all the tanks in WW2.  Just do a
search, and you'll find them (though take each with a grain of salt).
I'm currently in heavy research of WW2 aircraft, but hope to finish that
soon and move on to armour.

Cap