Re: [WW] Game Systems

richard spangle wrote:

> perception is everything i guess. how well you know a system can determine
> just how 'annoying' players find it.  i have run alot of different systems

A good GM can make a bad system seem great and a bad GM can make a great
system seem awful.  Its not only the GMs but also the players too.  Some
players don't adapt well.

The various groups I run with, all prefer AD&D 1st edition (but we play
a heavily modified version that has been building for over 20 years).
Some have open minds, some don't.  Unfortunately, the ones into D&D
3rd/D20, won't play Weird Wars, and the ones who want to play Weird
Wars, don't have the patience for D20.  What will likely happen is a
compromise/modified game system using elements from AD&D 1st
edition/D20/plus our own unique additions.

Eventually it will be tried with various systems like Lejendary
Adventure, Heaven & Earth, and maybe even Psychosis.  Who knows when
that will happen.  GURPS is another possibility but none of us have
played it, and I only own the GURPS Lite rules.  I wonder what the
Hackmaster system is like?

> understands the basics. i mean, if you stop to think aobut it, 2E AD&D was a
> very complex system (at least for those of us who grew up on the old '70s

Of all the people I played with, generally only the 'letter of the rule'
people liked 2nd edition.  The 1st edition group was all the imagination
group who tended to modify rules.  We all tried various games over the
years:  TMNT, Mechwarrior, Paranoia, Chill, Vampire:TM & other Whitewolf
games, Ghostbusters, Amber DRPG, Warhammer, etc etc etc.  The two that
stood above the rest were Ghostbusters & TORG.  Everyone loved them, but
strangely we rarely played them at all.  I barely remember TORG at all
now.

Which was the RPG where you played yourself (created a character based
on your own abilities)?

We'll see what group the 3rd edition falls under in the years to come.
Certainly the D20 era has brought gamers back from the CCG fold though.
WOTC knows how to market anything.  They could sell ice to eskimos.

> confusing as each has it's different rules (even within those various d20
> games out there) and unless everyone in your group has spent 20+ years in

Yeah, each D20 game tends to have a slight learning curve.

The big complaint here is the time cunsumption in creating the
characters.

> gaming, there is going to have some confusion. sit down some time with some
> of your local gamers (not necessarily ones in your group) and casually chat
> about the rules. as questions. get clarifications and opinions of others.
> sit in on another game group for a few sessions. your perception of game
> elements will change.

That is a very good idea!

> i'm rambling. i'll stop now...

Alternate Systems?

GURPS
Lejendary Adventure
Dangerous Journeys
Alternity
Deadlands
Masterbook - TORG/Indiana Jones/Tales From the Crypt
D6 System
Heaven & Earth (not actually a universal system, but uses the Tri-Stat
universal system)
Psychosis
D20
Self-Made/modified

Are there any other generic systems, or other systems that are
possibilities for WW?

Cap