Re: [WW] Re: Survival of the best.

Michael Robert Blair wrote:
> fear is multiple competing systems. I suppose old
> fashioned Darwinian selection will eventually sort out
> the strongest system for each task though.

Unfortunately this doesn't really work.  Depending on your point of view
I guess.  The strongest systems tend to get buried or have small cult
followings.  Its the best marketer that wins.  Look at Atari beating
Coleco, IBM beating Apple, Microsoft and well, any child who can
program.  How about the Magic CCG dominating.  Making the best game out
there doesn't mean anything.  Numerous fantastic RPGs have no success.
No matter how good a designer you are, it all falls on the lap of the
marketer.

Pinnacle's TLC is a perfect example.  Incredible game.  Designed well.
Everyone I've shown it to loves it (even those who hate war games, or
hate CCGs).  Yet no one has ever heard of it.  Word of mouth doesn't
work.

Now, there are always exceptions :)  As well it doesn't mean a company
can't survive on cult followings if they support they're products, it
just doesn't become mainstream without marketing.

Cap