[werewolf] message counter

How are people feeling about the message counter:

Werewolfbite chat 2 (Msg 06.0137) from incyr

Right now it's giving turn number - dot - counter from start of game.

Isn't the point to get non-threading mail readers to order the messages?  What we're doing now is counting "chats" and "votes" with the same number pool, but won't they still sort out into "chat" and "vote" separately?

I've heard talk that we should be counting howls, meetings and contracts.

What about messages, chat during queued "selects" and the like?

Please give me your thoughts; but more in the "here's the problem I'm trying to solve" rather than "hey!  Numbering kills would be cool!"