RE: [DL] Sure it's Evil, but what's it Do?

>I'm sure you get it by now.  Someone is drawing pentagrams using the
>sacrifice of a Blessed at each vertex, and drawing a larger >pentagram
using the smaller ones as vertices.

>The problem is this: why are they doing it?  Sure, slaughter of the >holy
is fun, but they're obviously up to something more.  I figure >there are
three basic purposes of a pentagram (this is the Satanic >type, BTW,
vertical point pointing south): summoning something, >imprisoning a summoned
creature, and protecting those inside from >evil things outside.  I don't
think the third one seems appropriate, >since killing priests to make a
Satanic symbol doesn't go with the >idea of protecting large swaths of land
from encroaching
>evil.

Neat idea, first off. Why not make the second pentagram smaller and inverted
within the first one. The third would be inverted to and within the second,
and so on. This would begin to suggest a location at the exact center of all
these pentagrams (for the Posse to end up homing in on).

Why?

What if a cult-like group, seeing the Reckoning and recognizing its
significance, decides that the time is right to release their own (demons,
spirits, gods, whatever...), which are big, ugly and MEAN. So mean and
powerful that one pentagram is not sufficient to either summon It or contain
It once It's summoned. Thus, the multiple pentagrams. Their intention is to
summon It and, at the stroke of midnight on the night of the next full moon,
release It on the world by breaking each of the pentagrams, either in
succession or simultaneously. This gives the Posse stuff to do, like
protecting the pentagrams. I kinda like the idea of breaking them in
succession, so that if the Posse muffs one pentagram, they can still
defeat/contain It by succeeding at the others. Perhaps at the end, a Blessed
(or Shaman?) in the party (or via NPC, if there isn't one in the group) has
to send It back where it came from, with the difficulty determined by how
many pentagrams are left standing. In fact, you could have five pentagrams,
with a temporary local Fear Level of 5 minus the number of pentagrams still
standing between It and the location (once It has been summoned, of course).

Well, that's one idea off the top of my head. Feel free to call upon me if
you need any other help. Anyone else got a good suggestion?

Derek D. Bass, a.k.a.
Harvey Wangenstein

Etheric Musings -- The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://web.cari.net/~ddbass/Ether.htm

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001