[DL] Epitaph volume 1, issue 1

The Epitaph Vol. 1, Issue 1 (3001)

I've read thru the first issue and I got some comments and questions. Mind
you, these are just my opinions, so don't take anything personal should I be
too critical.

It looks like The Epitaph will replace the Dime Novels, at least that is
what I read in the intro chapter. Can't say I like this, mainly because Dime
Novels are (were) cheaper. But if I can get two adventures from the Epitaph,
I'll be happy.

For the first issue we get a convention adventure, Trouble At Table Rock,
which is a very cool adventure to put a posse thru. Following that is
Story's End, which is called a dime novel, but it seems we only get the
first part. The adventure part must be coming in the next issue or so I
assume. It was a very good read. Believe me, I couldn't stop until I had
read it all the way thru. It definitely made me want to get HOE. (But that
won't happen anytime soon - I'm spending too much money on other games.)

While I don't have HOE books, I'm sure the optional Veteran table for sykers
will be useful to all. I hope to see more of these in future Epitaphs. More
options and tables for players and Marshals to use is always a good thing,
so that we can customise them to our tastes.

The 12-page color comic story was not interesting to me. It must be a rule
of horror that all extras must be stupid by default. ("Hey those trees are
sprouting thorns. I think I'll cut them down.") To tell a good story in only
12 pages and in comics format is hard to do. I'm sure good people put in a
lot of work to make the comic.

I liked most of the book. I just wish this didn't mean the end of the Dime
Novels. I guess the PEG team decided a larger book would be a better vehicle
to get such things into print. I'll be waiting for the next one.

fish@glinx.com
Hall's Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada