Re: [DL] Fun With Hindrances

> Ok so i have a question. Players receive Fate Chips for roleplaying their hindrances, but there
> are hindrances that do not have any clear "roleplaying" venue. These just require that I do
> something TO them that then gives them chips (I know that sounds vague so I have included
> some ideas of what I'm talking about). how do you folks deal with these?
>
> ENEMY - How should i reward my posse with fate chips over this one? If it was every time

	I suggest that fate chips are awarded when the player beats or
bests their enemy in some way. (whether fatally or not depends on you. I
can imagine a long line of enemies lining one after another to avenge the
death of their brothers/ friends/ fathers. To quote KODT's Cattlepunk
"Poor old mother Knickerson, shes lost so many sons" As Bob rolls up
revenge character after revenge character to down a particularly tough NPC
Red 'Gurdy' Pickleson.)

> GRIM SERVANT OF DEATH - Another tough one. It still seems like the opportunity to
> "roleplay" your hindrances is completely reliant on the Marshals actions not the players. So
> *I* give my player fate chips every time*I* decide some NPC's pick on them? Where is the
> roleplaying? (This is the one that started bugging me, so any ideas out there with be
> appreciated).

	We've been over Grim Servant a time or two before. My original
idea (which John Goff liked so much thats its been included and modified
for the upcoming Agency rulebook) was that when a Grim Servant spent fate
chips to avoid bullets or damage, then those bullets would start hitting
NPCs or PC's behind him, the dynamite strapped to his horse, the lantern
on the old wooden wall or whatever would cause the most amount of death,
destruction and damage. (Look in the archive for further details)
	You dont give the PC fate chips for that. You give him fate chips
for dealing or surviving  the suddenly explosive or deadly situation with
style and panache.

	Remember, you as the Marchal are under no obligation to
automatically give out fate chips for peoples hindrances. Sure you give
them out for roleplaying their character (of which hindrances are a part)
, achieving great things  and ( I cant remember if this is an official
or house rule) making the GM or group laugh out loud.
	Only give  as many fate chips as you feel comfortable with. If you
think some hindrances dont bring out a players roleplaying, then dont give
them fate chips for it. Besides, they already have the extra building
points that hindrances bestow, so they dont have much to complain about.

	Steve 'cynical Killer Marshal who rewards comedy' Ellis.