Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000725-3

Deadlands has ruined me for almost all other initiative systems.  I can't
run (or write) an initiaive system without knowing how much cooler cards
would be.  I redid Changeling for cards, and it worked great.
The big advantage to the Deadlands system is that it actually cuts down
on dice rolling a lot.  One initiative roll per 2-3 actions (or, with my
group, 6-7), instead of 1 roll per 1 action like a lot of games. This
speeds things along, and makes things like stun rolls bearable, since the
pace of combat overall is still quick

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:44:37 +0100 "Andrew Cunningham"
<techie@techie.f9.co.uk> writes:
>     For some reason a lot of people seem to object to the card-based
initiative system, apparently missing the point that it's  fundamentally
dice based with the cards as placemarkers. One of the most vociferous
enemies of the DL ini system here in Edinburgh thinks that the 7th Sea
system  is fantastic. The 7th Sea system, for those of you who don't
know, is fundamentally the same- you roll a number of dice and act on
that  number. The difference is there's no convenient way of remembering
when you  act, so you either leave half a dozen dize as rolled on the
table, or write  it down, or remember it. My point is that some people
just randomly dislike  the card system. me, I think it's great. Being
able to hold the cards, etc,  is always nice.

There's something to be said for  being easy to roleplay.  When mediocre
players try to play a cowboy, they're probably not going to screw it up
and end up thinking that black leather and chains would still be cool
when you're 500 years old (or even when you're 20!).  A cowboy is a
cowboy is a cowboy.  But Deadlands also offers plenty of  roleplaying
challenges for those who are up to the task, too.

>     Ah, but... In DL you're roleplaying a human character in a more
> or less understandable, real world setting. In Wampire you're being a
dark
> lord of the night in a strange and eerir underbelly of the real world.
Much
> harder to RP. The same would go for a hard sci-fi game- the players
will
> always have less understanding of how their character would act, and
the
> background in which they're operating, than they do in the essentially
> spaghetti western world we use as a sandbox. When some cowpoke knocks
over the
> poker table, you know instantly what to do, but when XYRHDPIJ the
Fnarrian
> Bounty Hunter offers you outside it's just not hte same.

From Whom It May Concern,
Rich A Ranallo

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.