Re: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly?

At 08:55 PM 8/23/00, you wrote:
> > 5. If you want the little bugger to live then just FUDGE!  Its your
> game run
> > it how you want to.
>
>A lot of people, all Marshals I don't doubt, have made remarks like
>the one above.  That's one thing I sure didn't like when I started
>playing DL, after literally decades away from RPGs -- heavy-handed
>predestination.  A telegram wouldn't go through because it would get
>the posse's goal accomplished too easily.  No tables or die rolls, it
>was ordained.  The Marshal has already declared that if my
>character's Eagle guardian spirit ever gets to level 5 (it's up to 4
>now) he's going to sabotage the blue-chip ability.
>
>Marshalls, be adaptable!  Have a backup plan!  Think on your feet --
>that's what the posse is doing!

I tend to agree.  When I Marshal, I tend to only plan so much for what I
expect the Posse to do.  Yea, they may do what I expect, or they may not,
but I almost never fudge...I have only a couple times in my Marshalling, as
much for my Posse as against.  To my mind, if the Marshal is going to
fudge, they don't need any fate chips.  If they are going to fudge often,
why even roll?

To me, a Marshal who does things like sabotage abilities or other cases of
not giving Players what they earn are not fun to play under.  If the
Marshal is going to have that sort of control need, why play?  I can see in
a few cases where one could do it, but it rarely leads to happy
players.  I'd walk out.

My rule: if a Marshal would be happy playing the game he runs, great.  I
run a game I'd love to play in.  Often, tho not always (there are glaring
exceptions), this is a sign of a Good Marshal.  I say, when the Marshal is
running, think  how he would feel on the other side of the screen, say, if
he had a Blue chip ability that was always sabotaged by the marshal.  Would
he get angry, never knowing the mysterious marshal is himself?

>                                 Netse Ôhtsevehâtse
>(Going to be on the other side of the screen next month, doing HOE.
>Maybe my tune will change.)

TBS
I hope not.  Me, I only felt stronger about mine.