Re: [DL] Re: Combined Format [Heivilin]

--- Ross Coburn <coburn@sympatico.ca> wrote:
<snip>

> 2. Dramatically improve the quality of the editing
> and layout.  I love
> Deadlands, but this stuff is pretty amateurish.  A
> spell-checker does not
> replace a copy editor; the books are fairly easy to
> read, but are laid out
> (in terms of type size/spacing/kerning etc.) in such
> a manner as tires the
> eye quickly.  The cover art has been discussed to
> death lately, but it seems
> fairly universally-held that the interior art has
> degraded mightily.

<snip>

> I don't know what resources Shane, John and company
> have to measure feedback
> from non-internet, non-list members of their market,
> but they'd be foolish
> to ignore any segment of same; here you get nearly
> instant feedback, and can
> even question people further in the event of
> ambiguity or policy change.

Alright, time for my two bits and this is the best
opening I could have hoped for.  When we first bought
DeadLands, ALL of it, the only fault with the game we
could find was the editing.  No blame intended here, I
know editing and re-editing takes time that you run
out of, but it does effect the overall presentation of
the game.

However, you have a -huge- pool of talent on this
list, willing to work for nothing merely to support
the game they adore.  Just look at all the fan
submissions and sites!  Why not put that to use?  I
know it would take a lot of coordination and
ultimately someone on the Pinnacle payroll would have
to review this all.  Perhaps you could appoint someone
from here to be the main coordiator.  Heck, I sit at a
computer for nearly 8 hours a day with nothing to do.

I understand you might not want to leak new
information to your fan base early, but I personally
would rather have a few surprised ruined than see the
products I want postponed, cancelled, or released
before they're truly ready because there aren't enough
pairs of eyes to look for errors or question formats.

We're here, might as well use us!

Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen