Re: [DL] Setting the Record Straight

>At 06:42 PM 1/5/2001 -0800, Mr. Steve Peterson wrote:
>>We will be posting release information as we get things firmed up.
>>Eventually, we'll be announcing products a full four months in
>>advance to the trade. Major releases will be discussed even earlier
>>than that. Of course, when we're dealing with freelancers (artists,
>>writers,
>^^^^^^
>
>editors, garphic artists) for some or even all parts of a
>>project, it can be difficult to nail down a release date accurately.
>
>Sir:
>	With all due respect, good sir, the only two PEG products done by
>freelance writers and unreleased prior to the Cybergames buyout--*Rain o'
>Terror*, by Mr. Anthony Ragan, and *Dead Presidents*, by myself--were both
>submitted well in advance of their deadlines. Indeed, Mr. Ragan did so
>after a previous author bailed out of the project, something for which one
>might reasonably assume Cybergames would be grateful for.
>	While I cannot speak to the problems you may be having on
>other creative
>fronts, I would thank you never again to place blame (by implication)
>falsely upon me or Mr. Ragan (whom I am not speaking for, BTW) in a public
>forum. While the insult is in all likelihood unintentional, it is both
>injurous to me as a an industry professional and very disappointing coming
>from someone whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and the greatest
>personal respect and admiration for.
>
>Deo Vindice,
>Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

It was not my intent to blame any product in particular for a change
in release dates, much less particular freelancers. Please accept my
apologies for any injury you felt, I assure you it was absolutely not
intended.

I was attempting to say (though obviously I didn't make it clear to
you) that when you are dependent upon resources outside of your
direct supervision, often involving multiple parts of a project, that
can make it very difficult to create an accurate schedule many months
in advance. This does not imply a lack of capability or
professionalism; having been a freelancer for many years, I know
exactly how many things can interfere with accurate projections of
how long it can take to finish something.  Timing all the elements of
a project can be difficult, especially if one or more resources are
needed by multiple projects.
--
- Steve Peterson, Cybergames.com