Re: [DL] Rather longish list of questions about period weaponry from Law Dogs

Can't answer all the questions, but I can take a stab at a couple of them...

----- Original Message -----
From: "TFM" <valgierz@kki.net.pl>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 3:47 AM
Subject: [DL] Rather longish list of questions about period weaponry from
Law Dogs

<SNIP for space>
> g) Colt Paterson 1836 - Monster, nonetheless. It has very good stats for a
> 1836 weapon. Is this realistic?

It actually was a very powerful weapon.  It also had a nasty habit of
exploding -- pull the trigger and one chamber firing would spark the
chamber(s) next to it.  Pretty nasty, since it happens right next to the
shooter's cheek!

> h) Winchester 76 - stats in LD are different from stats in DL rulebook.
Does
> that rifle really deserves unusual damcode (4d8+2) and high price (40$!)?

The Winchester rifles changed calibers (getting larger) as new models were
made.  The 1873 used .44-70 ammo, and the 1876 fires Colt .45.  (Yup, same
ammo as Colt pistols.)  The 1876 did fire slightly larger rounds, so maybe
the author felt it needed a little boost over the 1873.  As far as cost
goes, all I can say is that the game is set in 1876, so maybe the price
premium reflects the brand spanking new design, while plenty of 1873's are
still on store shelves, and retailers use the markup to help keep the 1873
selling.  Or maybe in 1876 the new model isn't even in stores yet, and you
have to pay the manufacturer a premium price to order via the website only?
;-)

> Tomasz F Misiorek

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang -- and I've even had a chance to fire a
Winchester '76!