Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20010226

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:11:15PM -0000, Wesley Robinson said:
> To the Marshal that wrote the above you might be happier playing a game such
> as Dictators and Tyrants.  Get real.  My Marshal is responsible for my
> character(s) when I play the campain HE/SHE is running and when I am Marshal
> I am responsible for HIS/HER character(s) when they are playing the campaign
> I am running period.  Whatever else they pursue is of no intrest to me
> unless they want to include it in the campaign(and you can never have enough
> ideas). If they ask your opinion or ruling by all means give it to them but
> otherwise butt out.

 Heh.  :>)

 Okay, those who have responded to this before me have already made any
 counter-point that I'd use, so I won't bother.  Instead I'll just give
 an example.

 I do seem, going by what I've read from other players and GMs, to be even
 more restrictive than usual on information known to the players.  Not only
 can they not read the No Man's Land sections, but they can only read the
 general sections which relate directly to them.  And they like it that way.

 My posse's huckster was going through Hucksters & Hexes recently, and
 happened across several tiny spoilers in the hex descriptions - a reference
 to the Reckoning, for example (he hadn't heard that theory before), or a
 short piece about Harrowed being reanimated by manitous (he didn't know that
 was how that works, either).  Although it doesn't make any real difference,
 and with a reasonable Academia: Occult number he'd probably know that anyway,
 but there was a certain disappointment in his eyes when he told me what he'd
 found.  Coz he knows damn well that he'd have had a lot more fun if these
 particular morsels had been introduced to his character in-game.  It would
 have been scary and enjoyable, but instead it was just words on a page.

 My posse's martial artist didn't even know Harrowed exist at all.  He'd never
 heard of Deadlands before, and as far as he was concerned, he was playing a
 Western RPG with magic and stuff.  Hmm, and monsters.  Erk, and zombies.
 And the legitimate squeaks of terror that came out of him when a deceased
 posse member vanished from his grave just before people who'd attended his
 funeral started turning up staked through the heart, one per night, is all
 the proof I'll ever need that I'm doing the right thing keeping the real
 story behind Deadlands as quiet as possible.

 Any fear my players experience is due to the many uncanny secrets of the
 Deadlands - not due to my secret police watching everything they read.  :>)

 Do what works for you, but if you're doubting that my way works for me (and
 my players), then you're way, way off the mark.

 Wishkah

--
       | This is pointless and will only promote in-jokes and cliquism.|

Sillicon: 6th, 7th and 8th of April 2001.
  http://sillicon.redbrick.dcu.ie/