That Character just ain't right - was [DL] Looking for random help

>In our group we call that the "Bad Girls" syndrome

<snip>

>About 20 minutes into the movie you're asking >yourself "Does everyone in this show have a tortured >past?"

< Then someone else said>

>I'll second that - I LOVE to play "normals" almost
>exclusively. To me, anyway, they get to develop so
>much more personality in game because they're not
>always worrying about what's coming out of their past.

You know - I never really thought about it, but you are right about the inverse relationship between character personality and character power.
The most interesting chracter I ever played was a private in the Greyhawk millitia.  (It was in D&D BTW)  The GM normally was a stickler for character backgrounds, but I just was so tired of the "My parents died saing the universe from evil magical pants" syndrome.

Basically he was born to "middle class" (ie merchants) folk - he would never get the business, as he was the youngest of 8 - so he joined the army.  Boom - there it was.  But it gave him a place to grow.  It also allowed me to fine tune the character over the few sessions.  He had one "quirk" - he didn't slay ANY sentient being without good reason, and he did not attack ANY sentient without being attacked first.  But even that was flexible.

I do have a "normal" guy in my campaign, but he is a munchkin with a Sharps-50.  Whenever there is trouble he climbs a tree.  Not much personality development going on there.  Although, I have drawn him out a little by playing on his heroic side.

So let me throw it back at y'all.  Are your experiences similar?  Do you even care about "Character Development"?  (As a Marshall this one is key for me - heck its what I like when playing, too)

Jeff

"I've got Dungeon Masters Guide / I've got 12 sided
dice / I've got Kitty Pride / And Nightcrawler, too /
Waiting there for me / Yes I do."

"In the Garage" Weezer
http://www.shopping.altavista.com