Re: That Character just ain't right - was [DL] Looking for random help

 >    For me, character development is the whole point of gaming.  I develop a
 >character by coming up with a general overview of his past and present, as
 >well as his appearance, then I draw his stats and fill in some blanks along
 >the way with Edges and Hindrances.  Over the course of the game, the
 >character undergoes a gradual metamorphosis as he (and I) react to the other
 >players and their characters.  For example, I play a gunslinger in Deadlands
 >who somehow turned into the most pacifistic character I've ever run.  He's a
 >martial artist, so he doesn't have to use his guns, but he just started
 >going out of his way not to kill people, partly in response to the actions
 >of a more Bloodthirsty posse member.

Me too.
:)

Seriously, I was about to post something along the lines of this is how I
like to build my characters, only to come across your post.

I've never really liked having a fully developed past for my character at
the start of a game.  It's seems constraining.  It also feels like the
story for the guy has already been told, as opposed to the story coming up.