Re: [DL] Will Someone Stop the Bleedin'?

No, it doesn't matter how much game time has passed.  This is an RPG, not
football.  It might take you ten minutes to work out what happens in a
combat round according to the rules; that doesn't mean it took your
characters ten minutes to fire their guns three times.  Hopefully, the
first thing the characters are going to do after combat is try to get to
everyone and start the medicine and/or healin' rolls.  If they've got
three wounded and bleeding posse members, and the first thing they choose
to do as soon as the lead stops flying is get on a train to Memphis, it's
safe to assume that the bleeding characters will be dead before the next
game event happens.
If, say, you have two men down on one side of a football field and one
sawbones still up on the other, and the fight finishes, that sawbones is
probably gonna start runnin' to the wounded as soon as he can.  Figure
out how long it takes him to get there (running twice his pace in yards
every 5 seconds), and figure out how long it'll take the wounded to die
(how much wind are they losing a round?  Multiply that by how many rounds
it takes the sawbones to get there).  If the second number is lower than
the first, the characters are dead.
Once, we did do a thing where most of the group had some degree of
medicine, but I wouldn't let anyone actually say out loud what their
stats were.  So, with one man bleeding from a leg wound, the group set to
aruging over who was going to help him.  Since the players were arguning
everything out in more or less real-time, the player of the wounded
character quietly pulled out a stopwatch and started counting seconds.
Only I saw him.  By the time someone finally said, "I'll heal him," the
player looked up and said, "Good, 'cos I was gonna bleed to death in six
more seconds."

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:23:10 -0700 (PDT) Jesse Burneko
<jburneko@yahoo.com> writes:
> My question is, once you're out of combat and no
> longer using action cards and stuff how do you
> determine how much GAME TIME has passed.  I mean when
> the combat ends and the players start deliberating
> over what to do next do you pull out a stop watch and
> go, 5 seconds, those of you bleeding take a wind.  Ten
> seconds, take another wind.

From Whom It May Concern,
Rich Ranallo, The Shogun of Harlem

"Rock and Roll will be the new planetary culture, believe it or not."
-Prof. Michio Kaku