Re: [DL] Newbie Question

> Anyway, I am confused about the task resolution in
> Deadlands.
>
> 1.  If I had a stat, say Deftness of 2D6 and a
> Shootin' aptitude is 1.  When
> shooting at some varmit, do I roll 2D6? 1D6? or 3D6?
>  Can someone explain
> this to me.  Its the main confusion I have with the
> game.

Your Trait determines your die type; that's it.  Any
Aptitude you roll using Deftness uses that die type.
The Aptitude level tells you how many of that die type
you roll.
In this case, Deftness is 2d6 - so all rolls using
Deftness are made on d6's.  Shootin' is at 1, so to
shoot something, you'll be rolling 1 (Aptitude) d6
(Trait).
If Deftness was at 3d8, and Shootin' was at 4, it
would be 4d8.

Does that clear things up for you?

> 2. Has anyone come up with a system to remove the
> cards mechanic from the
> game.  I love the idea but my players are
> traditionalists and balk at
> anything that isn't a purely dice game.  I am still
> trying to maneuver them
> but I need a backup plan. I wanna play Deadlands!

Persuade them to give the cards a try.  It might be a
bit clunky at first, but pretty soon everything runs
smoothly.
Failing that, you can have everyone roll Quickness,
and give them an action for each success and raise.
Highest total goes first, and you work your way
through the group giving everyone an action.  Extra
actions mean extra passes.

Cheers,
Steve Wallace