[DL] Newbie Question

I just got into Deadlands and I have a question.  I am using the first
edition rules (picked it up at a game store without realizing there was a
revised book out - grrrrr).

Anyway, I am confused about the task resolution in Deadlands.

1.  If I had a stat, say Deftness of 2D6 and a Shootin' aptitude is 1.  When
shooting at some varmit, do I roll 2D6? 1D6? or 3D6?  Can someone explain
this to me.  Its the main confusion I have with the game.

2. Has anyone come up with a system to remove the cards mechanic from the
game.  I love the idea but my players are traditionalists and balk at
anything that isn't a purely dice game.  I am still trying to maneuver them
but I need a backup plan. I wanna play Deadlands!

Stephen Esdale (sesdale@cable.redden.on.ca)

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
                          -  William Shakespeare
                              Richard II, Act 3, Scene 2