RE: [DL] Funeral (Book o' the Dead?)

At 12:49 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:

 >On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 Brumy8@aol.com wrote:
 >
 >> Proper funerals (Christian ones at least, I cannot speak for other
 >religions) have the Last Rights maricle built into them.

This has been a house rule that I've been thinking of adopting - that the
full funeral rites of the appropriate culture acts as the Last Rites
miracle, with the idea that these rites were initiated back in the previous
times.

For a non-blessed, it has to be the full funeral rites - including the
burial in consecrated group for the Catholic types, etc.    Or perhaps
those corpses undergoing a proper burial draw one less card for purposes of
coming back harrowed, which should suffice for most folks in most areas.

A Blessed with the miracle Last Rites gets to go "yadda yadda yadda"
<twitch-twitch-twitch> "amen" over the corpse and have it work.

 >However, is every priest/rabbi/cleric/etc. a Blessed, or only those that
 >are chosen?

Well, there is already precedent for giving non Arcane Backgrounds some
light mojo, in that anyone with Faith gets the Protection
miracle,  Non-shamans indians get some favors, etc. etc.

But for your question itself - I feel that far from every priest, father,
rabbi, padre, etc. is Blessed.

Hmm. . . I'd always wondered what effect the emergence of the Blessed would
have on the clergy of those of "normal" faith and devotion.  And it never
sat well with me the idea of people walking up to a devout unblessed
preacher and go "that parson over there can heal wit' his hands.  Whatcha
got to top it?"  It never sat well with me the idea that the Blessed would
be commonplace, or even known about.

But something just popped into my head - it's about how certain highly
devout people tend to get such welcome things like the stigmata, demonic
visitations, unholy visions of suffering, all those fun things.

I might start making the Blessed take a free Hindrance along those lines -
night terrors, or ailin, or something like that.  Sort of a if the Powers
that Be open a channel to their servants, that channel can also be used by
the bad guys.  A "with great power comes great suffering" idea, or even a
pre-emptive "if you gaze into the abyss, note that the abyss also gazes
into you.".

Craft, cards or clergy - nobody rides for free.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
                 -Ray Bradbury