RE: [DL] DeadLands d20 ... love it? hate it?

When d20 hit the streets, I was all about loving it.  I though it was
the best thing since sliced bread, except for Deadlands classic, of
course.  I saw a lot of potential there for d20 in all its incarnations,
but as time has gone on, I've come to a conclusion: d20 works
wonderfully for Fantasy, but lacks for most any other genre.

The reason most people give for Preferring classic deadlands is that it
has a unique western flavor in the game system that cannot translate
into d20.  The same works in reverse, d20 was built to be universal, but
made for D&D.  And as such, it has a fantasy flavor to the system that
just feels strange in other genres.

Some people complain endlessly about class-systems and hit-points, but
to me, those things are perfect game mechanics in a fantasy setting.  I
tried weird wars and a home-brew Pulp campaign, and they just don't work
with hit points and classes.  Deadlands d20, I think, lacks for having
those as well.

In the end though, its all about preference.  I prefer Classic
Deadlands.  Others like d20 Deadlands.  To each, his own.  And to
Pinnacle, the profits.

Joe