Re: [DL] Fantasy D20

 >Getting off topic, I always figured the Hit Points in D&D were a way of
 >factoring in skill to avoid damage, not being more resistant to damage.  In
 >other words, a 1st level player with 8 hit points can be killed with one hit
 >because he ain't smart enough to dodge out of the way, but a 14th level
 >player with say, 110 hit points can be hit a lot more times because all
 >those 7 points of damage, or 5 points of damage are actually him dodging,
 >but getting slightly nicked or bruised.

Doesn't explain Magic Missle - which always hits and always does the same
range of damage, despite the level of the target.

Nah.  Despite the spin attempt in the 2nd printing of the 1st edition
rules, hit points have always been about how much physical damage someone
can take.

A fact that, only until the "coup de grace" rules in the 3rd edition, meant
that a high level fighter standing in front of a firing squad had to be hit
wth 20+ arrows before he went down. With no loss of ability to fight until
after the 19th arrow lands home.

Otherwise, if the spin attempt was accurate, then a high Dex would add to
hitpoints.  Instead of making it harder for you to be hit overall.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

If only I could get that wonderful feeling of accomplishment, without
having to accomplish anything.
                 -Ashleigh Brilliant