[DL] Battle of the Cauldron and a second questin

For marshals only. You player types, shoo!

I have a few questions. First of them is about the battle of the cauldron:
There's a good few pages of info on it in Tales o' Terror, but it does not
tell me all of the reasons behind the conflict, not even in the marshal's
section. Is there any more info on that event ? It's been mentioned in
The Black Circle, marshal's handbook and in ToT, but only in ToT it is
discussed  more thoroughly, and it only states that the fighting began
because UB got the deal with USA, and hints about a possibility that
someone had something going on there as well.

I would also be very interested if some of you have taken your posse to
the battle. What kind of scenarios you had and how did they go.
Oh, and in ToT the fight takes place in 76, but in Black circle it is 77.
Which one would be more reasonable and why? I was thinking that in my
campaign, it'll be in 77.

I am certain, that in some books,there was info on an event in which the
first party that got there (Union Blue-dudes, or the US army) found
something very sinister in a circular canyon, and decided to keep it
inside, no matter what the cost. The problem was that theri competitors
found out that they were hiding something, and a battle ensued. What was
that event, and where was it described?

Thanks in advance,

---Hulkin' Finn