Re: [DL] What do you do with a human-flesh-eating PC?

  Jeff Yates <jyates@primaryfunction.com> wrote:

There's some spoiler space here, bacause this is a question to other
marshals and includes, well, spoiler stuff!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Well, that's just bad. Either he becomes a wendigo and an NPC, or a Lost
Angel and an NPC, or I get some amazing idea of how he can redeem himself,
with a clue as to how he would learn the redemption process. The character
has like d4s in Smarts and d6 in Spirit, so the redemption option is bloody
unlikely (pardon the pun). Becoming a Lost Angel doesn't sound like fun, so
it's on to wendigo-hood. Any of you other marshals ever get to turn a PC
into a wendigo? Did you use the corruption point rules from RVC? If anyone
has anything specific they used, and are willing to share, I'd really
appreciate it. I like marshalling, but right now I'm up to my neck in Real
Life (dangblast it!) and am stuck doing off-the-shelf adventures until I can
beat my paying job into submission. So I lack time to do up a
wendigo-becoming process right.

Hmm...quite a problem for our little friend there.  Well, a PC becomes a Wendigo under certain circumstances.  Everytime a pc eats human flesh, the marshal gets to roll a d20.  Add +1 if its wintertime, and an addition +1 for every time he has nibbled on human pate in the past.  This roll happens every time he takes a taste.  If the total number is 20 or above, your character turns into a drooling eight-foot ball of hair with a taste for Grandma.  Fun, fun.  If your PC doesn't become a wendigo, might I suggest giving him the Veteran of the Wierd West hinderance "Cursed."  That way he pays for his crime and seems to have a funny aura that holy folks can pick up on. Just me two cents.

As for turning a PC into a wendigo, I've turned three PCs into pseudo-wendigos.  They were in an adventure where they came across a bunch of wendigo cultists, i.e. a group of soldiers who tapped into the "dark side" to worship the ravenous god.  The semi-wendigo wasn't as strong, invincible, or smart as the original, so easier to kill, but who wants to kill a member of your party.  Oh, the indecision! Hee, hee.

Hope this helps,

Mary

P.S.  I've never read the Donner adventure, although I love studying the Donner party (I live in Reno, NV, so it's a part of our local history)  Are the Donners harrowed?  What about the rest of the party? And how do they get around the fact that the Donner Party happened a good 10 years or more before the Reckoning and the campsite was burned to the ground by the Californians who didn't want the tragedy to deter folks for coming out to California for the gold rush?  Do they even mention that...or am I letting my love of history get in the way of my love of fantasy?  If that's the case, my bad.