Re: [DL] Werewolf: the Savage West

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 01:52  AM, David R Goecke wrote:
> Thanks. Homid and Lupus refer to whether they were born human or wolf
> right? So Stormwalker would be Homid? And Ahron, Philodox, etc. That's
> the phase of the moon they were born under?

Correct. Homid is used to describe those born as men, Lupis for those
born as wolves. A third category, Metis, escribes those born of garou
parents, but this is a big faux pas for several reasons.. The metis are
all sterile (and the werewolves play a high priority on making more
little wyrm-eating rugrats) and are alla fflcited with some sort of
deformity. They are generally treated as the scum of the garou nation,
but then again, so are the Ragabash and the Bone Gnawers. So a metis
Ragabash Bone Gnawer is pretty much SOL as far as ever becoming a
respected person to the garou, i guess.

aul-André Beaulieu's description of the auspices is correct, so i won't
repeat him here, although there will be a couple of comments on that
post, too...

> Man, I wish I had that book. No game stores in my area are going for
> that
> White Wolf Sale, and I don't have a credit card to order it myself
> before
> the sale is up. maybe i'll just have to make a personal adventure to
> find
> one of the two stores in wisconsin partisipating.
> I wonder if PEG gets as much benefit from White Wolf as White Wolf gets
> from PEG. Sheesh. Those three Dime Novels are PEG advertising White
> Wolf!
> (side note to Shane: you are too cool, advertising other games. I hope
> the Karma comes back.)

The ads might have been part of the licensing deal, but I definitely
think the licensed books were good for PEG. White Wolf is truly one of
the movers and shakers of the RPG world, and they have a LOT of fans
who buy nearly anything they put out, so PEG might have gotten some
direct sales... And if even a few players buy the Dime Novels for
completeness, a few will be intrigued enough to get the Deadlands core,
and then they end up joining the mailing list, and...

White Wolf has a weird on-off thing for crossovers. Crossovers for
their main World Of Darkness games are considered unofficial, but fans
do it anyway and they've put just enough in to make it
kinda-sorta-work. One thing (which is nice) is that most splatbooks
contain a brief note on how the covered tribe or whatever sees the
other groups of it's game line and the other WoD stuff. It's nice,
considering how many possible 'groups' exist in the WoD before you ven
get down to the no-game-effect level of the secret societies that exist
in the larger groups.

One weird thing is that a lot of their games have 'work alikes' for the
other games... For example, Vampire has lupines, that fill the role of
werewolves without the baggage of Werewolf werewolves, but are
apparently more of jsut nasty critters.

Their Exalted game has some tenuous links to being prehistoric World of
Darkness... I don't know all the details, but theirs moon-tied beings
that I guess evolve into shape changers, sun-tied characters that are
linked to the power-imbued hunters.

And the new Demon game apparently ties a LOT of things together.

yet crossovers are unsupported, mainly because I don't think White Wolf
is insane enough to actually try and think of campaign material for a
group including a Garou, a Bastet (Cat shape changer), a Ratkin (Rat
shape changer), a couple of Vampires, a mummy, and a changeling. It's
hard enough trying to combine the various changing breeds from Werewolf
(A were-rat and a were-cat working together would be amusing, but then
again I'm a weird GM.) especially as WW did not attempt to make power
levels equivalent between games (Werewolf to Vampire) or in games
(Garou to other shape changers).

It's interesting, and even for those who don't like WW games (the only
one I really like is Werewolf, and that's because of a good GM) there's
a lot of good ideas to grab since WW has apparently been doing
something right...