Re: [DL] Fudging

And there was no risk in that adventure at all.  But that's not a fudging
issue. There wasn't any dice fudging involved in you formulating a strategy
and catching the master villain with his pants down and that GM has my
respect for being able to scratch his head and say "well, damn, them's
pretty smart folks."

I'm not going to fudge the dice when the characters get to the end of the
story just so that they don't survive because they found a way in that I
hadn't thought of and cut out 80% of my evil deathtraps, critters, etc.
That's vindictive, adversarial, and wrong as a GM.  You always reward
clever thinking and great roleplaying. That's why we play.

All I know is that my players for the past 21 years have never stepped away
from my game and said to me "you railroaded us through." and I have used
dice fudging at appropriate moments during all those years.

I'm not God's gift to GMs but I can honestly say that the only people who
have ever been displeased with me in that capacity have been rules rapists,
munchkins, min-maxers, and power gamers of the worst order. And those
people are, of course, better served playing EverQuest or some other MUD
where die rolls and the interaction of mathematical modifiers are all that
matter as opposed to the intelligence and sneakiness that you and your
fellow party members exhibited in taking out that master villain.

Best,

Greg