Re: [DL] Fudging

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evil Robot Shane From Another Dimension" <wishkah@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [DL] Fudging

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 02:48:17PM -0500, Paul-André Beaulieu said:
> > > The story is always more important than the rolls. Always.
> > BLAM! End of campaign. The GM's reply to this? "The dice have spoken".
> > I could have strangled him there and then...
>
>  Each to his own, but I'd be pretty bored with a campaign where we have to
>  save the galaxy and we KNOW we're going to succeed because the GM won't
>  abide by the rules.  There's no sense of danger then.

I think everyone would feel this way ... taken to this extreme ... but that
was not the point.

The point was that a random die roll took out everyone long before they even
got to the meat of the adventure.  What's that got to do with a sense of
danger?  That's just frustrating ... enough so, that if I were in that same
group, I would probably not bother playing any more.

One of the reasons (there are many) why I stopped playing D&D is because the
game is designed to KILL player characters.  It can get away with it to some
extent, because higher level characters have ludicrous amounts of hit points
and any character has a chance of Resurrection.  But I find the whole thing
frustrating.

I game to have fun ... having random die roles blow away the entire group
this would not be fun.

~ Mike