[PyrNet-L] Kuvas head and Pyr head

Schonberg Farms wrote:

> Adrienne Wilder wrote:
> >

> >         The Kuvas head is very chiseled and the eyes are more round and
> > do not have the "expression" that the pyr posseses....
>
> I have to disagree with you on that one.  I have pyrs and my best freind
> breeds Kuvasz, and yes the eyes are similar.  But the skull is more
> narrow and more refined without a stop than the pyr.

The Kuvas head may be narrower, I won't argue that...but it should have
a slight stop.  A pyr with a stop has an incorrect head.
The eyes of a kuvas are almond, but they are not as "deam like" as the
pyr...I think it is because the pyr actually has a "smaller" eye or
maybe just more slanted...I don't know...
> And there are some breeders in Michigan that have a more refined head on
> there Pyrs that resemble a Kuvasz.

Just because the head is refined it does not look like a kuvas (not
saying some don't) but refined head does not instantly mean kuvas head.
 A pyr head is not supposed be huge like a saint's....the head need to
be smooth, one piece, rounded skull and without interuption.

If you read the standards of the two breeds they are very similar...I
think the main differences is the allowance for a stop, and the lenth of
skull to muzzel and that the kuvas head, while bueatiful, is supposed to
lack the "softness" of the pyr (which comes by no planes or ridges).

Here are the two standards...

Kuvas
Proportions are of great importance as the head is
considered to be the most beautiful part of the Kuvasz.
Length of head measured from tip of nose to occiput is slightly less
than half the height of the dog at the withers.
Width is half the length of the head. Eyes-
almond-shaped, set well apart, somewhat slanted. In
profile, the eyes are set slightly below the plane of the
muzzle. Lids tight, haws should not show. Dark brown,
the darker the better. Ears -V-shaped, tip is slightly
rounded. Rather thick, they are well set back between the
level of the eye and the top of the head. When pulled
forward the tip of the ear should cover the eye. Looking
at the dog face to face, the widest part of the ear is about
level to the eye. The inner edge of the ear lies close to the
cheek, the outer edge slightly away from the head forming
a V. In the relaxed position, the ears should hold their set
and not cast backward. The ears should not protrude above the head. The
skull -is elongated but not pointed
The stop is defined, never abrupt, raising the forehead
gently above the plane of the muzzle.- The longitudinal midline of the
forehead is pronounced, widening as it
slopes to the muzzle. Cheeks flat, bony arches above the
eyes. The skin is dry. Muzzle:- length in proportion to the
length of the head, top straight, not pointed, underjaw well
developed. Inside of the mouth preferably black. Nose
large, black nostrils well opened.

Great Pyrenees>

Correct head and expression are essential to the breed. The head is not
heavy in proportion to the size of the dog. It is wedge shaped with a
slightly rounded crown. Expression-The expression is  elegant,
intelligent and contemplative. Eyes-Medium sized, almond shaped, set
slightly obliquely, rich dark brown. Eyelids are close fitting with
black rims.  Ears-Small to medium in size, V-shaped with
rounded tips, set on at eye level, normally carried low, flat, and close
to the head. There is a characteristic meeting of the hair of the upper
and lower face which forms a line from the outer corner of the eye to
the base of the ear. Skull and Muzzle-The muzzle is approximately equal
in length to the back skull. The width and length of the skull are
approximately equal. The muzzle blend smoothly with the skull. The
cheeks are flat. There is sufficient fill under the eyes. A slight
furrow exists between the eyes. There is no apparent stop. The boney
eyebrow ridges are only slightly developed.
Lips are tight fitting with the upper lip just covering the lower lip.
There is a strong lower jaw.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA