Re: [PyrNet-L] Kuvas head and Pyr head

Adrienne Wilder wrote:

> Here are the two standards...
>
> Kuvas
> Proportions are of great importance as the head is
> considered to be the most beautiful part of the Kuvasz.
> Length of head measured from tip of nose to occiput is slightly less
> than half the height of the dog at the withers.
> Width is half the length of the head. Eyes-
> almond-shaped, set well apart, somewhat slanted. In
> profile, the eyes are set slightly below the plane of the
> muzzle. Lids tight, haws should not show. Dark brown,
> the darker the better. Ears -V-shaped, tip is slightly
> rounded. Rather thick, they are well set back between the
> level of the eye and the top of the head. When pulled
> forward the tip of the ear should cover the eye. Looking
> at the dog face to face, the widest part of the ear is about
> level to the eye. The inner edge of the ear lies close to the
> cheek, the outer edge slightly away from the head forming
> a V. In the relaxed position, the ears should hold their set
> and not cast backward. The ears should not protrude above the head. The
> skull -is elongated but not pointed
> The stop is defined, never abrupt, raising the forehead
> gently above the plane of the muzzle.- The longitudinal midline of the
> forehead is pronounced, widening as it
> slopes to the muzzle. Cheeks flat, bony arches above the
> eyes. The skin is dry. Muzzle:- length in proportion to the
> length of the head, top straight, not pointed, underjaw well
> developed. Inside of the mouth preferably black. Nose
> large, black nostrils well opened.
>
> Great Pyrenees>
>
> Correct head and expression are essential to the breed. The head is not
> heavy in proportion to the size of the dog. It is wedge shaped with a
> slightly rounded crown. Expression-The expression is  elegant,
> intelligent and contemplative. Eyes-Medium sized, almond shaped, set
> slightly obliquely, rich dark brown. Eyelids are close fitting with
> black rims.  Ears-Small to medium in size, V-shaped with
> rounded tips, set on at eye level, normally carried low, flat, and close
> to the head. There is a characteristic meeting of the hair of the upper
> and lower face which forms a line from the outer corner of the eye to
> the base of the ear. Skull and Muzzle-The muzzle is approximately equal
> in length to the back skull. The width and length of the skull are
> approximately equal. The muzzle blend smoothly with the skull. The
> cheeks are flat. There is sufficient fill under the eyes. A slight
> furrow exists between the eyes. There is no apparent stop. The boney
> eyebrow ridges are only slightly developed.
> Lips are tight fitting with the upper lip just covering the lower lip.
> There is a strong lower jaw.
> >

> --
>
> Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
> Murrayville GA
>
> "Oh, to be loved by a dog!"
>
> Home of:
> The golden gang,
> [...]

I understand the breed standards.  And I understand where you are coming
from.

What I am trying to say is that some breeders names not be mentioned,
feel that to achieve their goal in getting back the old style pyr, they
need to create this type.  Which in fact putting a Pyr and a Kuvasz next
to each other you could not tell the difference.  The majority of the
Pyrs that the breeder's (mentioned) have are white that I have seen,
thus they look like a Kuvasz.

I believe too that a Pyr should not have a stop, but to see what is out
there winning in the show ring you would tend to think that they are of
Saint Bernard origin. So to speak.

But I am not trying to get into an argument about this.  Everyone has
different thoughts on how a Pyrenees should look.  Whether they look at
the standard or not.

Susan
Schonberg.farms@nethawk.com