[PyrNet-L] Re: CHAT: Janet & Albert

Poor Janice & Albert!

I hope it's nothing serious and Albert will be back to his normal merry
self! Hee hee.

You might have commented on this before- hmm, I think you did. You don't
have a crate for him that he can't get out of. Right? We use the XL Furrari
crate- and while it was over a $100- (I forget the exact price), I'm sure
the potential cost in damage or replacement if Mukki were running loose-
would be far more.

I was sorry to hear your knee wasn't doing too well- but on the subject of
walks, isn't there anyone else in the house who could take Albert for a
good, brisk 15 minute walk each day (or twice a day)?

I feel for you since it sounds like you have the major responsibility for
Albert. And what you said about all the macho males- really had me
rolling... sigh... that's been my experience too.

"Hold him down." (me)

"But he doesn't like it!" (male partner)

"He'll like it less if I can't get this sticker out of his paw." (me)

"He's mouthing me!" (male partner)

Incidentally, I don't buy that the poor guys are just incapable (so PLEASE
don't flame me, guys!)- but some of them have learned if they create enough
fuss or resistance, I find it easier to just do it myself. So I blame myself
for buying into it. Sigh.

About the medicine- if it's liquid, and Albert is not being the most
cooperative about downing it but needs to, have you tried placing Albert
between your legs on his back (head up against your stomach)? Cup his chin,
and feed him the liquid and make sure he doesn't move for a minute or so. It
may take you a little while to get used to- but this position is also great
for tummy rubs, for soothing, for calming down, for reminding Albert of your
alpha position, for clipping nails or brushing teeth, too.

The other position you can try is to back him into a corner (with you both
facing out of the corner)- leg-lock his head between your legs (thighs), and
put medicine into his mouth, hopefully being able to hold onto his mouth to
make sure it goes down. This is what I have to do to give Mukki ear drops
since he has a mild ear infection.

But returning to being down on the floor and having him rest between your
legs... when *you* are ready to release him, you can release him by just
turning him slowly on his side over your leg. He'll find his way up. If you
feel he's too big for you to do this from his stand position. Have him sit,
down... then get him on his side (with a toy or other), position your legs
over him, and gently bring up his head so he's lying comfortably between
your legs.

Some ideas for rubs/strokes when he's in this position (after he's downed
the medicine)- are try small, gentle, circular motions up on his chest,
under his chin, etc. He'll let you know where he likes it best by relaxing
and sort of melting and closing his eyes, or being still, etc.

You all have a good weekend now! :-)

Christina & Mukki (who sends his pyr brother lots of kisses & the equivalent
of butt-slapping in pyrspeak)