Re: [PyrNet-L] dog collars

> Hi Ken, It's kathy.....We use a sturdy nylon choke collar.....they are
> very effective without being punishing.....there seems to be a raging
> debate concerning the pinch collar.  Some trainers feel that it can
> tend to make a dog more aggressive because it feels similar to a dog
> biting the back of the neck of the dog wearing the pinch collar.

As with training methods, collars must be fitted to each dog's
personality.  Pinch collars *do* have theri place.  They are not torture
weapons and they can be a *heck* of alot safer to the in experienced
trainer, then regular choke collars, nylon or chain.
Reason being is that *very* little weight has to be place on the pinch
collar for it to correct, and that correction is distributed around the
circumfrence of the neck.  The traditional choke collars focus all the
correction on the trachea, which can and does casue long term damage.
People tend to look at a pinch collar and think that those prongs are
supposed to be dug into the neck of the dog.  Reason being is that they
are used to working (incorrectly) with the traditional choke collar and
they have the idea of using the same force on a pinch collar as applied
to a choke.
Flat nylon collars are fine for training, if you know how to correct and
if you have an easy dog.  You can actually cause damage to the vertebrea
with a flat collar becasue it does not "give" in the correction.  The
amount of correction one has to use with a flat collar is also
signifigantly more then that of a pinch or even a choke.

	I have used everything from pinch collars, to flat collar, to no
collars at all.  I will not swear to one method or the other because
that would be foolish.  No two dogs are alike so no two traing tools or
methods should be alike.

--

Adrienne Wilder
Murrayville GA