Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: Summer clip

Hi!  I am currently waiting for my first Pyr to come along.  Right now I have
a two year old Irish Wolfhound, a 10 year old rescue Australian Shepherd (ie
that's what I was told she was) and two 14 year old poodle/sheltie? mix
dogs.  You don't mean 20 minutes to brush out all 4 Pyrs, do you?  You must
mean 20 minutes each.  I'm anticipating having to do a lot more grooming with
a Pyr than I do now.  My Aussie has the easiest coat.  It really only needs a
few minutes every few weeks.  She almost never gets a mat, but she loves to
be brushed, so if I have a brush in my hand, she's right there begging to be
brushed.  My wolfhound takes about 5 minutes, and also has no problem with
mats, but he looks messy within a half hour, so I tend to comb him out a lot,
sometimes daily, never less than once a week no matter how busy I am.  The
"twins"  took after opposite parents.  One has a silky Sheltie-like coat that
tangles easily and mats fairly easily & he hates to be combed.  I use a comb
with "swivel" teeth that goes through his hair more easily and he'll only
cooperate for a few minutes at a time, so he goes to a groomer every once in
a while.  His brother took after the poodle, sort of.  His coat is kind of
kinky but not as curly as a poodles, and he always looks like he's having a
bad hair day.  It's kind of cottony and mats terribly and he HATES being
groomed, so he gets clipped down to about 1/2" every once in a while.  Sorry
I got carried away with the description, but is grooming a pyr not as bad as
I'm anticipating?

Stephanie