re: [PyrNet-L] rescue help in Ohio needed

Thanks for your post Angie.  Just wanted to give an explanation of the Ohio
club's situation.  Our rescue organization has very limited funds and even
less space to house dogs.  There are several Ohio members who help with
rescue, but only 2 full time people who will actually house rescue dogs.
And these 2 people really only have room for one dog each.  If we get in 2
dogs that have been together and get along, then one of our homes can take
them both.  Ohio rescue handled 72 dogs last year and 4 so far this year.
Like many other rescue groups, we are dependent on donations and fund
raisers to support our cause.  If the funds were endless and we had people
beating down our door for rescue dogs, I am sure we would do everything
possible to take every dog.  But neither of these is the case.

The male dog mentioned in the previous post has adult heartworms.  At the
risk of sounding heartless, we can save several healthy dogs for what it
would cost to treat one heartworm positive dog.  We are waiting on word from
the shelter on the female that was mentioned.  Our rescue rep who was
contacted about these dogs was going to pick her up yesterday, but the
shelter had not yet done the heartworm test.  And this shelter is probably
going to have more to contend with from the person who bred this female to
the GSD - he kept three of the pups from the litter for his own "use".

I would also like to take this opportunity to say how grateful I am to
everyone who devotes their time, energy, housing space and money to help
with rescue.  It is definitely a thankless and at times, heartbreaking job
... except when you look in the eyes of the pyr who has a new "leash" on
life in their wonderful new home.
Lisa Fouras (HOGPC President)
AbriLuz Kennels, Ohio
Great Pyrenees & Pyrenean Shepherds