Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Health Issues/Bloat

Barb,

My experience with bloat occurred about 20 years ago, and I was
feeding kibble, and canned meat. It was a big killer then,
my vets were stunned by it and we all were basically
clueless. We looked at everything, and discovered that during this
time soy was introduced into commercial foods, and I always
suspected that this was the trigger. But I also thought that
the dog had to be prone to it, either via environmenal influences
like water consumption or excitement, or genetically more suseptible
because of depth of chest, muscle strength or internal attachments
of the organs.

There might be a vet out there who can answer your questions better
than I can, but we had bloat and torsion in both my bitches.
Bloat is the dialation of the stomach, and the torsion the twisting
that cuts off the blood supply. I believe that the stapling can
prevent to torsion, but not the bloat. And of course, being able to
recognize the problem and treatment immediately is important.

I brought up bloat as a health issue because I was so surprised
to see it around, not just in Pyrs but in a lot of other breeds.
I agree with you on the kibble issues, but for those who choose
to feed this way, there are precautions. I think most of the
cases of bloat are preventable. But how do we communicate any
information about this problem to new Pyr owners? Is this the
responsiblity of the Pyr community (whether they be the breeder,
the placement group from rescue, local clubs) or of the vets?

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com