Re: [PyrNet-L] French pix

In a message dated 6/5/99 3:10:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ARIEGE@xtra.co.nz
writes:

<< Help me on this one because I have seem Pyrs with such small
 slanted eyes looking extremely oriental that I have wondered if this is
 correct or not. Almond shape sure, set obliquely. On the other hand have
 seen, owned, bred sometimes the rounder eye, looser eye, tighter almond eye.
 I realize the shape of the eye can give that lovely, dreamy expression >>

This is a good discussion.  In my mind this a case of "degrees" of something.
 When is a more extreme degree going into a negative area?  Sort of like size
i.e. when is big too big.  The French have a top size that they start
penalizing a dog or bitch when they are over.  I think we all feel that
extremes are generally not correct.  To breeders extremes are many times good
i.e. very tight small eyes might be good to be bred to looser less desirable
eyes.  That's us breeders, but not the ideal dog judged on its own merits and
not what it might produce or help fix.]

Look at the famous picture of the group of Comte de Foix bitches.  Lovely
picture, now have they gone to extreme?  I would like to hear what others
feel.  The URL is:

http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/comtede.htm

Joe