Re: [PyrNet-L] French pix

Charlotte, Out of curiosity I sat and looked through several of my breed
books at all the breeds looking for almond eyes, and medium almond eyes (
just as a comparison, mind you ).  The closest breed to what I have been
seeing on the Pyrs. at the shows are the slits on the Chow chow (
classified as small almond ).  And to my way of thinking, they are slits
at that point!

By the same token, not one of my books shows the Pyr. eyes to be anything
but a nice open almond, large enough to gaze into.  And answering your
question I would consider the eyes in the pictures to be more large than
medium.  Guess that makes them at the larger end of medium!

Now I know this can be argued as incorrect by breed standards ( although
my AKC books picture looks like a normal eye ), but I make the same point
as with the word giant.  Unless you are actively showing and really go
heavily into the standard, the average person judges a breed by what he
see's and likes in the books, and goes on from there.  So yes, to me if
the eyes look like slits I do find it disturbing.  Our dogs are not show
quality and have been spayed and neutered.  But since we used to show
Mastiffs we do pay attention to breed standards.  I'm sure that none of
us are getting rid of our beloved buddies for their imperfections, and
since no dog is perfect, I guess that just leaves us with our personal
preferences.  Really in spite of the standards, that is what showing is
all about too.  Judges have their preferences, and anyone who shows finds
that out early on, heck we even learn to play to those preferences!  So
that's my two cents! :-)  Thanks for asking!  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka