Re: [PyrNet-L] New to the link

Welcome Lauri and Maryellen!

If you're new to Pyrs, you'll love this list!

Lauri,  I've never used our electronic fence on our Pyr, Zeke.  But we used
it for our German Shepherd/Golden Retriever cross and our Husky mix years
ago.  Buddy, who was very aggressive and a man-biter respected it completely
and would never go near the boundaries no matter what happened beyond them.
Sid, the Husky, was another story.  Gentlest dog in the world with severe hip
dysplasia but stubborn as the day is long.  He'd walk right through it
whenever he felt like a swim in the river or a walk in the neighborhood.  Be
careful if you decide to try shaving him to make better contact with the
collar.  We did that with Sidney, and apparently he was going in and out of
the fence all day while we were at work.  Within a few days, we found that
the metal contacts had burned 2 holes in his neck where they touched the skin
we had shaved.  It was awful.  We put up a 6 ft. stockade fence after that.
That's what keeps Zeke in the yard and works great for our twins, too.

Good luck with the fence and best of luck to both you and Maryellen with your
Pyrs!

Matty Costa
Hooksett, NH