Re: [PyrNet-L] Our Pyrenees

On 9 Jun 99, at 8:45, LauriLight@aol.com wrote:

> I doubt that I'll go the electronic fence route, at least not right away,
> because I can't bear the thought of shaving his neck and giving him pain
> (sap that I am).  As the heat climbs he is more inclined to stay indoors
> anyway so as we move into summer I am hoping his bond with me will keep
> him near when I let him out.

Lauri, these wonderful dogs of ours must be contained in sturdy,
appropriate fencing.  Bonding has nothing to do with it. Pyrs cannot
be trusted off lead outside of a fenced area. Someone on one of the
lists once wrote, ' a pyr off lead, is a disapyr'. It is in their
territorial nature to explore and guard what they perceive as their
territory. I imagine if we allowed them the universe, they would
consider it their territory <g>.

Pyrs working as LDG's are shown the boundary's.  In a small farm
situation, this is usually with good fencing.  In range situations
the dogs do go beyond the boundary's, but take their work seriously.
Some ranchers feel they are pushing back the predators.  Most
ranchers say their guardian dogs do disappear on occasion, but they
do not suffer loss of livestock, the dogs return when they are ready.
Most LGD's are lost to being hit on highways or from poison set out
for predators. In a urban setting, our animals are most likely to be
injured or killed by a vehicle.

I understand that invisible fencing really is not appropriate for a
pyr.  Some do have success with it, but very few. I imagine it
depends on each individual dog. My main concern is with stray dogs
entering your property, there is nothing to stop that.  A territorial
animal is likely to become aggressive when confronted by strange dogs
entering their territory.

I personally want my dogs contained in a safe, consistent way. I
would hate for a system to fail and lose one of my dogs.  I've had
several escape due to human error and never want to experience that
kind of fear again.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico