Re(2): [PyrNet-L] Sniffing.

Cindy, I'd trust the pyrs' instincts on this. Ivy Rose sniffs us
incredibly thoroughly when we've been out, and sniffs anything new we
bring into the house until she's been all over it. She doesn't sniff
strangers because she doesn't want to get that close to them! Paddington
doesn't do it as much, but he is incredibly astute about picking up vibes
from people. The most awesome happened when he was about 6 months old and
we were staying in a B & B in New Hampshire. A couple who'd been there the
night before came in with their 18-year-old son while we were eating
breakfast, with the pyrs on "down/stays" beside us. Both Shelley and
Paddington were immediately on their feet, and I think Paddington might
have attacked the kid if I hadn't moved fast. I was astonished, and
alarmed--this was my "everybody's friend" puppy! We had to take both dogs
to our room, because they wouldn't settle and stop growling. We found out
later that this kid was in rich folks' version of reform school, and that
one of his offenses was abuse of animals. I don't know if it was scent or
what, but our guys picked it up immediately and did not want that kid
anywhere around.
I've just finished teaching the section in my Women's Studies class about
relationship violence--and I'd watch for someone who'd hit a dog the way
you describe. It's so common for it to escalate rather quickly--your
daughter may be next. I'm sure you're aware of this, and concerned about
it too. Hope she'll take heed of the pyrs' good sense!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose