Re: [PyrNet-L] Guarding

Dear Charlotte, hello!!!

Yes, they let us play with the computer and crayons here at the institute
<g>
> Carrie, I remember hearing a story your mother told years ago about how
the Pyrs
> behaved when there was a bear on your property.  Can you tell us how they
handle
> this considering the size of a bear compared to a Pyr.? (By the way,
remember
> Carrie's Dad bringing  some great bear salami to the DC area when he
came!).

Pyrs have never been "attack dogs".  To go out, run down and kill predators
would be to leave the flock unattended.  Instead, they would place
themselves between the flock and the problem, then used barking, big
hackles, wide open mouth to try and discourage the predator.  Only if they
feel that this approach does not work will they do other approaches.  This,
by the way, works if they have a flock.  If they are not defending a
specific critter, or if they have "back up" they might actually go after
something.  Jamie, one of our last ranch dogs, ran across two fields and up
a mountain after a coyote.  (fe, about 29", 80 lbs. for those who are
tracking size.)

The bear story you are thinking of is when the bear-skin rug came back--this
was the bear that became such nice salami(!)  It was the largest black bear
shot in the State of Idaho for four years--over 450 lbs.  Mom was being
funny and put on the rug and started swaying and wandering around the living
room.  Shasta (de Fontenay bitch from England) came into the living room,
head dropped, hackles rose, and she started to attack the "bear" in the
living room.  Needless to say, we got mom out from under the rug and put the
rug away!

The huge bear in my brother's yard (600+ lbs.) brought a wise decision on
the part of Steve's Pyr.  Poor old Bandit was 13 years old and crippled from
a car.  She went down to mom's house looking for help!!

-Say hi to Jack, Charlotte!
-Carrie