Re: [PyrNet-L] Canine Nutrition- My dog has allergies

Hi- My dog has had allergies for the past two years. He has been
allergy tested at the local vet school (where they shave the hair and
challenge the dog with as many allergens as possible). He has been having
once a week desensitization shots which seem to slowly be working for him.
He is better in the winter. Having said all of this, he is also allergic to
chicken and beef and pig. Even the little amounts in treats. He has been
placed on two different prescription diets that cost no more than high grade
food (which is not that much
considering how well he feels and how little Pyrs eat in general). One was
Iams Fish and Potatos (he gained alot of weight on this due to its  high fat
content) and the other was/is Science Diets Salmon and Rice.
There are also Rabbit and ?, Venison and ?, and Duck and ? (I want to say
Rice to all the ?). He wasn't picky about any of them. For treats
he gets sliced garlic potatos and other things falling within his diet. His
stool volume is low because the diets are all high quality.
Food testing for allergies can be frustrating because it is a process of
elimination over a long period of time. Hang in there! It is worth it when
you finally see them NOT itching their paws, face, bellies. Feel free to
e-mail me privately if you have any questions.