RE: [PyrNet-L] Westminster & cloning

Title:

Folks,

        Not being a breeder or show dog manager, I have no direct experience these issues, but if there are concerns about line breeding and other horrible things breeders do to get that next winner, what concerns do you have with the idea of being able to "clone your canine" within the next 5-10 years?

        I watched a brief news segment the other night about the successes with cloning and future applications.  I can't remember the name of the company, but apparently there are already companies out there that are now storing (for extravagant fees) the memory of your "family pet" in anticipation of being able to clone these animals within the foreseeble future.
        The news segment (local news in Little Rock, AR) focused on interviews with dog owners, asking them how they felt about being able to clone their dog, to be able to replace their animal when they died, etc.  The answers ranged tremedously, with several positive responses to the idea.  They focused also on the ability to clone working dogs, such as used by disabled people who depend on their dog to function in the world (blind, paraplegic, etc.).  This seemed like a good possible application of the cloning technology, especially since suitable dogs are apparently hard to come by.  However, the possible abuse seems tremendous by those types of unscrupulous people mentioned on this list.
        Assuming the technology does exist within the next 10 years, how would we ever ensure an ethical and morally-sound use of cloning when perpetuating our favorite breed of dog?  Couldn't they simply clone the best-in-show winner or "create" the perfect breed example over time?

Curious,
Tammy and kids (Bonnie-Pyr, Sadie-?, Goose-Keeshond, and Red-?)
tmseller@gateway.net