Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

----- Original Message -----
From: <clhenke@juno.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

> Terry, there are probably a lot of people who have been in dogs a long
> time and do not agree with  in-breeding. line breeding etc.  When a
> person goes to buy a dog, they need to be very careful to ask  the right
> questions, and do their homework.  Unfortunately those that have money,
> but no experience, often rush right off to  get pups from the most
> popular kennels, thinking that assures them  the best dog.  It all too
> often does not!  While I personally think that humans should be  more
> selective in their own breeding,  most of us know why there are laws
> prohibiting us from breeding too closely within our own lines.  Even
> understanding that animals (in the wild, under their own control )  do
> not breed as closely  within their own group as people often think.
> Nature must do something right.  When humans manipulate so heavily, the
> results speak for themselves, and I think we are seeing that more and
> more in  our pets.
> Frankly I think we already see a lot of what  bothers people about
> cloning, degeneration over time.
>
> I also agree with the person who said that there are  a lot of people who
> love to show, but never or very rarely breed.  I have also always felt
> that some of the best dogs in the world may be the ones standing in a
> yard or field, owned by someone who will never care to show.  Then there
> is the breeder who is on some kind of an ego trip, and absolutely sure
> they are the only ones doing all of this right.  At any rate, there are
> probably a lot of us seeing dogs go down by this type of breeding.
> Cindy
Cindy,
Thanks for your response.

I believe that even the unscrupulous people who show, but do not breed would
also leave the world of purbred dogs under my suggestion. Take away their
"SUCCESS" in the show ring, and you also take away their profits, diminish
severely their "EGO'S and they will eventually fold their tents and vanish
into the night. ( my fervent wishful thinking)

Also, regarding human in-breeding; are you familiar with "Jack The Ripper?"
One very creditable theory pegs him as a member of The British Royal Family.
That is the reason that The Vaunted Scotland Yard never solved the case.
{according to that theory} At any rate, most of The Crown Heads of Europe
had many skeletons in their attics, due to their own inbreeding.

Regards;

Terry