Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

----- Original Message -----
From: Andy and Mary Hasper <ahasper@mmcable.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

> Thank you for all of the advice, it is very appreciated. The lady has a
big
> heart & has fallen in love with the breeed, but my concern is that maybe
she
> doesn't really know what she's getting into & hopefully the advice i'm
> receiving from the list will make her really stop & think about this
before
> she proceeds any further.
> Mary

Mary it sounds as though your friend has good intentions. However I fear she
may not know what she is getting into. Just one pyr is a big commitment.
Multiple pyrs take a tremendous 24-7 commitment. Having time and money isn't
going to make the work these dogs will require a whole lot easier. As for
homes for the projected pups, is she going to be willing to take any of
these pups back (as any reputable breeder should) if the dog becomes
unwanted by the families? I see far too many pyrs in rescue that are there
for that very reason. The family decides they no longer want the dog and the
breeder will not take them back. Even champion bloodlines and quality are no
guarantees about a dog not ending up in rescue. I have seen titled dogs come
into rescue. So she should really give this a tremendous amount of thought
before she decides that breeding her dog is what she wants to do. Thanks for
letting me put my two cents worth in.
Marie McFarland and Beau