Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

----- Original Message -----

> > Regardless of the number of champions in her pedigree, she needs to be
> showing her and shouldn't
> > even consider breeding her until she is a finished champion.  Just
because
> there are many
> > champions in her pedigree doesn't mean she is breed quality.  You can
have
> champions that throw
> > bad litters.  She needs to get the dog into the ring.
>
> Just out of curiosity..as you stated even champions can throw bad
> litters..why must she be a finished champion before she is bred, I know
i'm
> probably sounding very illiterate on this subject, but i've had no
interest
> in breeding Maya, we had her fixed 2 months after she came into our
home..so
> i've not thoroughly researched the breeding aspect. If Jackie (my
neighbor's
> dog) is pyr "quality" & is seen by other reputable breeders & they say she
> is within the breed standard then why must she be a finished champion? Why
> is it so important for the lady to get her in the ring?

May I ask a question here without getting blasted for my trouble? Why does
any dog,  male or female have to be a Beauty Contest winner in order to be
bred? Again, please do not accuse me of being against dog shows, that is NOT
what I am asking. At this very moment my wife and I are waiting for "The
Most Wonderful Pyr In The World" ( just ask us or his owners ) to be bred so
that we can be owned by one of his offspring. He has "Champion" written all
over him but did not do well in "The Show Ring."

> > Does she really need that many dogs to guard the sheep?  Besides, not
> every Pyr makes a good
> > working dog.  One word of warning, these "family requests" for puppies
> often times vanish when it
> > gets down to taking a puppy.  People tend to back out when the reality
> hits.

 This is a fair question and should not be taken lightly. There is probably
no one size fits all answer to this question. In my ( personal ) opinion, no
one should  "Automatically" be denied ownership of an intact dog, ( male or
female ) simply on the basis of a single criteria; namely, are they at this
point in time  an experienced Show Person or even presently considering
showing. This is arguably one of the main reasons that Puppy Farms are able
to proliferate. Many good people go to them because they have been turned
away from an ethical and responsible breeder.

What do the rest of you good people on this list feel about this? I truly
value your opinions and enjoy hearing your anecdotes very much. Particularly
from "Down Under".

Regards,

Terry Rickert