Re: [PyrNet-L] GPCA

In a message dated 4/25/00 12:48:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dsmith@iolinc.net writes:

<<  realize that it might be "easier" in the eyes of the everyday pet owner,
if everyone was accepted immediately and then if after being educated they
still acted in a manner contrary to what was best, they were thrown out.  But
how would that really work? >>

I think this is the crux of the matter -- just how would you police all
members?  I doubt that the GPCA or any such organisation would have staff
enough to monitor all current members and "weed out" as it were those that do
not follow the guidelines.  Personally, I don't think that is possible.
Instead, I'd rather see the members' time and effort go toward distributing
information concerning breed awareness, rescue, and related issue.  The more
information that is out there, the better it is.  It will have a positive
effect on some of the people at least.  There are, however, those people who
will continue to do the breed an injustice, and it wouldn't matter one iota
whether they were members or not.  As an example, there is a man near where I
live that constantly breeds pyrs.  He had an ad in the SC Market Bulletin
just this past week advertising pups, "again".  Members of the local rescue
group have been to see him, talked to him, and tried to stress the importance
of careful breeding and responsible ownership.  Well, all this has fallen on
deaf ears.  He's in it for the money, and not the benefit of the breed.  So,
seriously, what can one do?  You can't just go out and confiscate his dogs,
although you'd love to.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC