[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l about siezures

I have been following the thread about the dogs with epilepsy and want to
share my experience.  My Beagle Maggie, a little sweetheart she is, has
epilepsy.  The following is an excerpt from a story my daughter Kari has on
her webpage
about Maggie:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
One day Maggie was laying down on the couch after a rough and tumble and I
thought she was asleep, I always liked to gaze at her while she was sleeping
at the marvel of this thing called love and she started to shake violently
and she was not breathing I Became filled with panic and screamed to my Mom,
"Maggies not breathing!" My Mom Grabbed her car keys and purse and we flew to
the animal hospital to veterinarian Kesha Howell we blew 4 red lights and had
the horn blowing the whole way we are at the hospital in 2 minutes people
were very nice to us on the road they cleared the way. We also had the
emergency flasher hazard lights on. The hospital immediately stopped what it
was doing and rushed Maggie to the back to begin treating her. That day she
was formally diagnosed with epilepsy and put on Phenobarbital. Maggie
recovered from her seizure. Maggie was the trooper but we were the question
we had to just recover with her we were still so scared and the Doctor could
observe that. The Doctor sat us down and consulted with us about canine
epilepsy and she reassured us that Maggie actually could have a completely
normal life. .Knock on wood, as she has been just fine for about 7 years
minor occasional seizures happen very rarely for her as she is treated right
now with human quality Phenobarbital.
by Kari Nord
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Linda again......~~Now, Maggie is 8 years old, and has a seizure every 3
months or so.  She has had them in the middle of the night when she is
sleeping, or when she is up and about.  I don't know what triggers them.  All
I know, is when she was diagnosed, I cried my eyes out and was sure she would
have to be put to sleep.  I am glad I had a good vet that showed me there was
an alternative. Maggie is really the sweetest dog, she took to Gracie right
away and runs circles around her playing hard.  Its so cute, Grace gets in
the puppy play stance (all 120 lbs of her) and Maggie goes zoom, zoom, zoom
so fast I swear the wind blows Gracies fur.  LOL  Epilepsy does not have to
be a death sentence for the dog. Only if they go into status epilepticus and
the Valium doesn't work.  These animals are such gifts.

Linda in SC

http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/norjet/index.html
 http://www.geocities.com/gracej_us/Grace.htm
http://norjet.8k.com