[pyrnet] Re: seizure question

Stephanie,

Joe is correct that seizures can be be caused by trauma or toxic reaction.
It is particularly difficult in your situation since the dog was not in your
care when the seizures occured so you have no real way of finding a
trigger, if there was one.

Seizures can be caused by food. Check out my web site www.naturaldogfood.com.
Click on Rogue's Gallery, and go to the poodle. Peggy Tillman explains how
her poodle seizured as a result of the food she was feeding, and the seizures
stopped when she changed his diet.

Cajun seizured after having Advantage applied to her. Terrible cascading
seizures that continued for 36 hours - until she had two baths to remove
the residue of the Advantage, and heavy veterinary intervention. Bayer
of course denied that there could be a problem, but recommended highly
that we never apply that to her again. They also spoke of a vet (they referred
to him as a kook) at the U of Fla (found Dr Clemmons via the Internet and he
corresponded with me about Cajun) who claimed that there are ingredients
in certain medications that are used routinely on dogs (Heartguard is
one, Advantage is another, and  Cajun was on both) that lower
the threshhold for the seizures in dogs pre-disposed to this problem.

And again I agree with Joe. We do have to assume a genetic predisposition,
as there is, IMO, to bloat, and many other health related problems that
we see in dogs.

A seizuring dog is frightening to the pet owner, and should be so. It is
a life threatening situation. And you are helpless. If we did not have access
to the Internet, we would not have known (at 3 am) we needed the second
bath to get rid of the Advantage (we immediately gave her a bath
when she had her first seizure). Exactly 12 hours after the second bath
she had her last seizure. By this time she was in the vets and on both
valium and phenobarbitol.

If you have not had a reoccurance, I would watch him and wait. Talk to
your vet about what you might have on hand for an emergency, but be
prepared to head to the vet's office if need be. And be conscious of what
might be the trigger, if there is one.

Cajun continues on the medication. She is not on heartworm medication
nor do I use a flea or tick preventative. We use no pesticides or any other
chemicals on our property. And she is on natural food. And so far,
not a sign of a seizure.

She will probably remain on the meds, simply because I cannot now
spend the necessary time to wean her off of them. And emotionally, I
don't want to go through another trauma like that. Just in case.

Good luck with Dexter, and I hope that this was just a one-time
happening. For your sake and for his.

Carol Brescher Boyle
Carol@naturaldogfood.com

   It can be caused from trauma or toxic reaction, but when you rule this out,