Re: [pyrnet] Breeding?

jodi l gordon wrote:. Her previous owner kept her on a chain for

> 5 years. Not easy to work on keeping her in the yard when we aren't even
> fenced yet

It sounds like she has had a bad life to me having to spend 5 yrs on a
chain.The puppies will keep her around for a while but you really need a
fence for her and the puppies so they don't get themselves hurt or ran over
by a car.Pyrs tend to take in a large area that they consider theirs to
patrol and once the puppies are old enough that instinct will return and they
will follow her lead in these patrols - morning and evenings.

> We have a nice place out in the country and figured we could
> give her a new and better home. Heck she is real unsure of men also. So,
> her having puppies was definitely not intended, but abortion was not an
> option.

My husband is also very aganist abortion but when my 8 yr old had the young
male ,in the pen next to her ,visit one wk-end while we were at a show.I
still haven't figured out how he got in her pen unless he went over and left
no tell-tale hair but I waited 19 days and had her spayed and yes she was
pregant.I reasoned that she was too old to have a first litter so it was in
her best interest and mine to have her spayed so I ignored husband's wishes
since I do all the care taking of the dogs.

> Now, if you don't mind me asking another question. I could call a
> vet, but hopefully you will answer for me. How soon after babies can I
> have her spayed. When pups are weaned?

You can have her spayed as soon as her milk is drying up.Be sure to do it
because she will come in again within 6 months or less of the previous
heat.How old are your puppies now?After you go through raising this litter
and giving shots,picking up their poop and etc. I'm sure you will be on
it.Find homes so these babies do not have to live life on a chain!

Good Luck,
June