Re: [pyrnet] Collars

----- Original Message -----
From: "conmara" <conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Collars

> Marie -
>
> Could you expand a little on your comment about microchips?  >
> Thanks.
>
> KenMc

Hi Ken. I really wasn't implying anything about microchips. It just seems
that almost everyday I see dogs on the rescue lists that are microchipped
but the rescuers still cannot find the owners. Either because the dogs
number wasn't registered or some such thing. And unfortunately a lot of
shelters to not have microchip scanners so the chips are never found. An
appalling number of shelters also don't check for tattoos. Just last year a
beautiful champion suluki was put down at a shelter after the dog escaped
it's yard and before it's owner could find it. And it was microchipped and
tattooed. After that I would not be inclined to trust a microchip or tattoo
as a form of ID for my dogs.
Marie and Beau