Re: [pyrnet] spaying after the first heat

On 26 Sep 2000, at 17:21, Margaret Greiner wrote:
> Janice I too have a female and the vet suggested that I wait until after the
> first heat,I was told that it reduces the chance of vaginal problems .I know
> there were studies done on lions in Africa that they spay and neutered
> before sexual maturity The male Lions did not grow the mane and the females
> stayed very small and were subject to infection.So in the world of today's
> medicine they must know something we don't the important thing is that you
> have your animal spayed and neutered.In this study also the pride would not
> accept these altered cats it was very interesting.

My vet suggests just the opposite, spay/neuter before reaching
sexual maturity so I really have to wonder where all this information
comes from.  We've got studies that show in dogs early
spay/neuter the growth plates take slightly longer to close so they
end up growing slightly taller than their un-spayed/un-neutered
counterparts.  I also haven't seen where it makes a difference in
them having less problems with infection and I'd like someone to
produce information on studies on dogs that show this.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX